Thursday, June 12, 2008

Is it their job to...?

My first post about a news article:

The US Supreme Court ruled today that prisoners in Guantanamo Bay could challenge their detentions in civilian courts in the US.

On Comcast.net News, George Bush is quoted as saying, "It was a deeply divided court, and I strongly agree with those who dissented. . .And that dissent was based upon their serious concerns about US National Security."

I know it has been a long time since I had American Government, and I could be wrong, but is it the job of the Supreme Court to make rulings based on national security? I thought the Supreme Court could only rule on constitutional issues. As I said, I might be wrong, but the issue here is individual rights vs. government rights, and the Bill of Rights is specifically targeted at protecting individuals from the government.

I agree with the ruling. Even though other rulings have said otherwise, "...all men [people] are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Notice it does not say "all US citizens."

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the Supreme Court.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add
to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.

I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

My web blog; wiki.hexapod.ru