Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dawning of a new day

So here it is, 11 months after my last post, and I'm finally coming back to the blog. At the urging and support (or berating) of my friend, I shall again attempt to write on a regular basis, sharing thoughts on various items of interest, under the guise of "media". That said, the real reason I'm here is to be a role model for the little boy who has a hard time focusing and doing his writing.

For Lent, the family has decided to do something we should/always want to do, vs. giving up something that we shouldn't do; so for Lent this year, we have commit (committed?) to write daily, hopefully helping us all communicate a bit better, and of course share some of our thoughts on things with all of you.

Of course, this leads to the problem of what to write about. As many of you know, I am usually not at a loss for things to say--usually inappropriate. But, meaningful exchange of ideas are a bit harder than quips about music, games, TV, and the sorts. I remember back in college, one of my favorite classes, Photo Diary, required us to keep a journal. This was exciting to me at the time, as I had always wanted to keep a journal--sort of a structured reflection on my days, nights, struggles, and of course loves... (It should be said that the class was about much more than this, but this is what comes to mind right now.)

And of course, as many of you gathered, I failed miserably at this endeavor, as I lacked the discipline to write regularly. What I did find was that once a week I was sitting down, writing a short outline of the things that I wanted to mention in my journaling, and would then proceed to articulate my thoughts and emotions regarding those items. This seemed to work for me, and I really enjoyed this time. I would say that I was not very good at it, but that few hours every Sunday evening was something that I looked forward to every week that semester.

So here I am 25 years later, still struggling with the same lack of discipline (as my wife will vouch for me: its a struggle, lack of discipline, and STILL). And, as you can see from this blog, I always mean to get back to it, my intentions are there, but once the TV is on, and the DVR shows 2 episodes of V, 3 episodes of Glee, and (COOL) the new episode of The Big Bang Theory, I get side tracked and spend the evening watching TV. Yes I enjoy it. No, I don't think of it as wasted time (as I do enjoy it), but I do feel a little guilty all the time about not writing, not painting miniatures (for the game Malifaux), not playing a game (more to not having someone to play with than not having the time), and even for not reading.

So I guess where I'll start is the way I started back in college. I'll delineate what I want to share, and then spend the next several days writing about those things, and hopefully engaging in meaningful conversation and of course the requisite witty banter. So what can you expect from me in the next few days:
  1. Over the past year I've done 3 of 4 things that I've wanted to do since I was a freshman in High School;
  2. The iPad was almost everything I had hoped it would be, and has become and almost integral part of my life;
  3. A review of recent purchases of Music;
  4. A review of some games I've played recently;
  5. and anything that might come up along the way that I feel takes higher precedence than what I've listed here.
So, since the little boy will be writing twice today (he missed yesterday and needs to make up for it--me: I wrote a report for work--I will probably be back again later this evening to begin this endeavor. Hopefully you will find this endeavor as interesting as I hope to find it. I guess we shall see.

No comments: